Over the years, many well-known persons have died from drug addiction. The seeming ease of obtaining illicit drugs just serves to foster the habit. No matter if it was done intentionally or not, a fatal patch is still a conclusive fix. In the tragic list of famous people who have succumbed to addiction, there are still a lot of celebrities.
At the age of 50, pop singer Michael Jackson passed away from a propofol overdose in 2009. The narcotics in his bloodstream caused a cardiac attack that led to his death. Jackson has previously used drugs. He had had addiction treatment in a California medical center earlier in his career. Jackson’s demise was brought on by a concoction of benzodiazepines and prescription medicines.
At the age of 31, Glee actor Cory Monteith passed away from a heroin and alcohol overdose in 2013. During his adolescent years, Monteith battled addiction. He had attempted to become clean against the efforts of friends and family. Only a few months after entering a recovery center, Monteith passed away. Until he gave in to his demons, he had been sober for a year. According to an autopsy, Monteith had been using heroin and had a fatal amount of the substance in his system when he passed away.
Actor Heath Ledger, 28, passed away after an accidental overdose in 2008. To address his persistent sleeplessness, a number of drugs, including opiate painkillers, had been given. Ledger’s doctor had advised him against combining the medications since doing so might be fatal. Unfortunately, his prophecy was realized when oxycodone and hydrocodone, two of the prescribed drugs in his body, led to his demise.
At the age of 48, pop superstar Whitney Houston perished in a drowning accident in 2012. Alcohol and drug abuse were the causes of Houston’s death. She was particularly killed by a trifecta of cocaine, marijuana, and prescription medications. Houston battled substance misuse for years, and in the months before her death, she often checked in and out of drug recovery centers. Her demise was due to a combination of heart illness, fluid buildup in the lungs, and drowning as a result of the significant water content in her lungs.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
At the age of 46, award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman passed away from a heroin overdose. Prior to his passing, he had been sober for a number of years, but he had long battled opiate addiction. Hoffman has had numerous forms of addiction treatment, as well as methadone and suboxone prescriptions to aid in his sobriety. He had not yet been weaned off the meds when he passed away even though he was sober. The heroin and prescription medications he had in his system combined to kill him.
Funnyman Chris Farley, 33, passed away in 1997 after a heroin overdose. He had a history of drug addiction, particularly to cocaine, opiates, and alcohol. At the end of his life, Farley was receiving methadone treatment in addition to other medications that were intended to help him overcome his opioid addiction. He died as a result of a fatal mix of such chemicals.
Winehouse had a lengthy history of substance misuse, but it wasn’t until 2012 that the degree of her addiction became known. The coroner who performed her autopsy in that year found evidence of alcohol intoxication as the cause of death.
Her toxicology result proved positive for a number of prescription medicines, including the antidepressants amitriptyline and diazepam, according to later investigations. She may have been taking heroin since she was a youngster, according to speculation. Winehouse, who unfortunately passed away at the age of 27, was unable to stop the pattern of addiction despite several stays in recovery and the support of her spouse.
Before his tragic death, River Phoenix struggled with cocaine and heroin usage. He reportedly abstained for two months when Dark Blood was being filmed in Utah and New Mexico. He arrived back in Los Angeles in late October 1993, and he almost immediately started using drugs. Tragically, he would pass away in front of the Viper Room nightclub. After a night of drinking, River Phoenix passed away on October 31, 1993, from a cocaine and heroin overdose. Also discovered in his system were valium, marijuana, and ephedrine.
Anna Nicole Smith
According to reports, Anna Nicole Smith struggled with a lifelong prescription medication addiction that finally took her life. On February 8, 2007, Smith passed away. Smith accidentally overdosed on prescription pharmaceuticals after mixing the sedative chloral hydrate with other medications. This medication was mixed with Klonopin, Ativan, Serax, and Valium, four benzodiazepines.
One of the best and most talented singer-songwriters of the 1960s, Janis Joplin, battled addiction issues her whole life. The iconic rock artist Janis Joplin was discovered dead in her Hollywood hotel room on October 4, 1970, after what seemed to be a heroin overdose coupled with alcohol.
Famous rapper Mac Miller passed away as a result of substance misuse and addiction. His struggles with addiction and substance abuse were regularly alluded to in his songs. Miller, age 26, was discovered dead in his house on September 7, 2018, after an unintentional cocaine, fentanyl, and alcohol overdose.