Despite earlier declaring he was done with the Fast and Furious franchise, Dwayne Johnson makes a surprise appearance as Luke Hobbs in the newest film.
The Wrap claims that Johnson makes a surprise appearance in the movie Fast X, which hits theaters on May 19, during a scene after the credits. A Universal Pictures representative declined to comment.
Fans last saw Johnson, 51, in character for the 2019 spinoff with Jason Statham, Hobbs & Shaw. Johnson debuted in the film series in 2011 with Fast Five.
In the latest film, which also stars Vin Diesel, Jason Momoa, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Michelle Rodriguez, Ludacris, John Cena, Rita Moreno, Helen Mirren, Brie Larson, Charlize Theron, Nathalie Emmanuel, and others, Statham reprises his role as Deckard Shaw. Meadow Walker, daughter of the late Paul Walker, also appears in the follow-up.
Johnson’s cameo appears two years after he declared he would not participate in future Fast and Furious films and expressed his displeasure with Diesel, 55.
In a post on Instagram in November 2021, Diesel referred to Johnson as his “little brother” and issued a formal request for him to return for the “finale of Fast 10.”
“As you are aware, in my home, my kids call you Uncle Dwayne. They and you always give each other good wishes on holidays, but now is the right time. At the time, Diesel wrote, “Legacy awaits.
He said, “I told you years ago that I was going to fulfill my promise to Pablo,” alluding to Walker, who passed away in November 2013. I vowed that in the finale, which is 10, we will achieve and realize the finest Fast! I’m saying this out of love, but you need to show up. Don’t let the franchise go to waste; you have a crucial part to play. Nobody else is capable of playing Hobbs. I’m hoping you rise to the challenge and achieve your goals.
A month later, Johnson told CNN that he was “very surprised” by the Instagram post and described it as “an example of his manipulation.”
He revealed his decision to leave the franchise to the publication in December 2021. “This past June, when Vin and I actually connected, not over social media, I told him directly — and privately — that I would not be returning to the franchise,” he said. I was polite but strong in my communication, stating that I would always be the cast’s biggest fan and supporter and that there was no chance I would return.
Johnson continued, “I also privately spoke with my colleagues at Universal, all of whom were quite supportive since they understand the issue.
I didn’t appreciate that he brought up his kids in the post or Paul Walker’s passing, Johnson continued. Don’t include them in it. We had a detailed discussion about this a few months prior. My ultimate goal was to finish this magnificent Fast & Furious franchise trip with grace and thankfulness. Unfortunately, this public discussion has clouded the issue.
The actor at the time said, “Confident in the Fast universe and its ability to consistently deliver for the audience,” and he “truly” wished his “former costars and crew members the best of luck and success in the next chapter.”
Johnson previously admitted to Vanity Fair in October 2021 that he would only have consented to take part in 2017’s The Fate of the Furious if Diesel was excluded from any sequences.
He claimed at the time, “I wanted to avoid drama.” “I believed doing it was the best course of action. for all people.